Welcome to my baking/cooking blog! I figure since I cook and bake so much, I might as well have an outlet with which to share my creations with the world (or the few friends/family who read this!)
Today is Monday, which is my day off and thus, my turn to cook dinner. Felix (my husband) does the cooking most nights, mainly due to the fact that I don’t get home from work until 8:30 or so. I can’t tell you how amazing it is to come home and have dinner ready for me. Thus, I like doing the same for him when I can.
I decided on chili for dinner because I love using my slow cooker, it’s chilly outside today (by CA standards, 50 is brisk), and it’s really difficult to mess up chili. Seriously.
I wanted a chicken chili, and Felix wanted white cannellini beans. So, I threw the following in the slow cooker:
Red Chicken Chili (adapted from Ambitious Kitchen)
- 1 lb. of boneless chicken
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced (use more or less to taste…we love garlic, so I used a lot!)
- 1 can (280z) of diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. ground coffee
- 2 small jars green chilis (I used one hot and one mild)
- The following spices (add as much or as little as you like here): chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, cinnamon, cloves, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes
Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker and add everything else on top. Stir. Cook on high about 4-5 hours or low 8-10 hours. Towards the end of cooking, take out each chicken breast and shred on a cutting board. Then, put the shredded chicken back in the pot and cook for a while longer. Serve with sour cream, avocado and tortilla chips!